This is it, the F.R.E.S. dragon. Fort Rupert Elementary School. I'm friends with the (now reitred) prinicpal of this school. She'd been aware of my dragons for some time and asked me to teach a class on dragons to the 4/5/6 class (small school). After that she commissioned me for a dragon big enough that the whole class could help me work on it. I completed the wire frame at my high school, and right before Spring break 2002 I hauled it into their classroom. Once the vacation was over the kids took shifts during their art time to first stuff the hollow frame with newspaper (a lengthy ordeal), then mache it with so many layers I lost track. Three kids could lay down over ten layers in a 20 minute shift. By the time I started painting it there was no doubt over 100 layers of newspaper on any given square inch. Some of the broader areas, like the tail, were so hard they could have passed for wood, and resembled a door when knocked on.
The maching actually took so long that we hit summer vacation. Of course that just meant coming back in September to work with the same people in the 5/6/7 class
I finished painting just in time (during) their Christmas pagent
When I left they were going to hold a contest to determine a name. The best one I thought of was Falathazmeer, but I left for Victoria before I heard the result.
The F.R.E.S. dragon, as I'll always know it, now resides on top of a filing cabinet throne in their library.
The body frame was gool old chicken wire, but for the impressive 18 foot wingspan (if fully opened) I had to buy wire that was about two thirds as big around as a pencil. Each piece is about 9 feet long, as it goes up each wing phalanx, down the wing, and into the body. The wings membrane is a bed sheet dipped in a tub of white glue (one of my more memorable tactile experiences).
Check out my gallery for soon-to-come closeups and a making-of collage.